As one of Ontario’s established integrated construction services companies, the John Aarts Group Ltd., which includes J-AAR Excavating, AAROC Aggregates, AAROC Equipment, Concrete Forming (1980) and Dutch Brothers Ready Mix is proud to have participated in the growth and development of Southwestern Ontario.
We are seeking a Civil Estimator who is aspiring to reach their potential in the field of construction. J-AAR Excavating is part of the John Aarts Group Ltd. Responsible for civil infrastructure and specializes in sewer and watermain construction, road reconstruction, site servicing, earthworks, residential subdivisions, paving, among others.
The Civil Estimator is responsible for preparing estimates for a variety of projects. The incumbents time will be split between an office environment and necessary site visits. Overtime as necessary to meet project deadlines.
How you will make an IMPACT
- Preparation of estimates ranging from 0.5 Mil to 20 Mil for sewer and watermain projects, underground infrastructure renewal, residential subdivisions, road construction and paving, parking lots, building excavation and backfill , structural culvers and bridges, earthworks, landfill construction, creek remediations, shoreline protection, etc.
- Review plans and specifications for completeness
- Upon review of drawings and specifications, proactively analyze possible risks and develop solutions
- Promptly escalate all issues, questions, and concerns relating to tender challenges if they arise
- Actively seek and coordinate assistance from the operations team for decisions regarding the sequence of operations, site constraints, crew sizes, productivity factors, and project schedule
- Perform project takeoffs utilizing different software programs (Bluebeam, Excel, Agtek, etc.)
- Develop detailed estimates using Heavy Bid and adjust standard default bid items and activities when required for best accuracy, crew makeup, productions, risks associated with each task and overall risk
- Solicitation of prices from Subcontractors and Suppliers using Heavy Bid automated system
- Review requirements for bonding and insurance and secure pricing and commitments for same as required
- Prepare bid submission documents, including bid deposits, proposal letters, conceptual plans and schedules, and tender forms
- Develop conceptual site designs, prepare and submit design and price proposals for Design-Build Projects
- Develop and maintain estimating tools and ensure that tools are being used appropriately
- Analyze and compile data from past projects that can influence costs and efficiencies of future projects
- Ensure that previous bid errors are not repeated
- Perform site visits and attend pre-construction meetings to identify site constraints and project challenges
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with clients, consultants, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Be responsible and accountable for the projects, tasks and timelines that are assigned
- Complete other duties as assigned
How you WOW us
- Diploma or degree in a related field
- 4-10 years of estimating experience with expertise in Civil and Underground Services
- Advanced computer skills; previous experience with HeavyBid and Bluebeam is an asset
- Strong interpersonal communication skills both verbal and written
- Excellent time management, organizational, and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to build and maintain lasting relationships
- Demonstrated commitment to Health & Safety
How we TAKE CARE of our PEOPLE
- Highly competitive wage
- Paid vacation
- Performance Bonuses
- Company paid benefits
- A team member focused culture with a common objective of finding out what we are capable of and reaching our potential.
- Skill building, training opportunities, career support
- We Celebrate our Achievements: holiday parties, BBQs, fishing derby, sporting event tickets, golf days, and so much more!
Visit us at: www.johnaartsgroup.com
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
John Aarts Group Ltd. welcomes all applicants and is committed to a diverse workforce. If you require accommodation, please contact the People & Culture Department.